Wednesday 7 December 2022

Rules for 2016 SWAP (Stitchers Guild)

 2016 Swap Rules

I'm sorry I'm late with the SWAP rules this year. I started working on them early in October, then set the notes aside to help someone and well...no excuses, really, I just lost track of the days going by!

I've read through the speculation thread a few times, and I recognize everyone is ready to go –and that most of you want a pretty simple, straightforward, relaxed and stress-free contest this year, so I hope this will fill the bill.

I've put this together rather hastily -sitting here with my coloured pencils trying to make sure it would work, that it would be simple but not too easy, and take into account the varying needs of our international membership. It's after 4am here, so it's possible I've missed something; if so, I'll correct it after I've had some sleep.

I initially loved the 4x4 idea, but 16 garments is too many, and trying to make interesting combos using all those neutrals just isn't working for me on paper. Try as I might, I end up with two garments that just don't work together.  But Blue Mooney's Algebra Swap (3 trios +2 wildcards) worked out very well for our 2014 contest. So Let's try something like that again:

 

1 "3 pack" of Colour(s) A (3 garments)

1 "3 pack" of Colour(s) B (3 garments)

1 "Combo Pack" of Colours A & B (2 garments)

1 "3 pack" of Wild Cards

A "3 pack" will be:

2 tops + 1 bottom

or

1 top + 1 bottom + 1 outer layer

or

1 dress + 1 top + 1 bottom

or

2 bottoms + 1 top

or

Two dresses & one layer.

or

The final 3 pack option is 1 dress + 1 top OR bottom + 1 layer.

 

The "Combo Pack" can be just about anything, but they must be garments, not accessories (scarves, belts, bags, etc). The "Wild Cards" can also be any colour, or any colour combination, but for this to work they will need to follow the format of one of the other "3 packs". That is, you'll need more tops, bottoms, or dresses to make the wardrobe work.

For this to work for you, the "combo pack" may need to be both tops, or both bottoms, but two more dresses is allowable for those of you who wear them. If you're in the colder climes or need business attire, a jacket can be either a part of the combo pack or a wild card, whichever will work for you best.

A "top" will be any shirt or blouse worn on the upper half; a "bottom" will be any garment worn on the lower half, and it shouldn't be obscene to wear either without another layer.

the lower half, and it shouldn't be obscene to wear either without another layer.

A "dress" will be any garment that covers both upper and lower halves, and again, it shouldn't be obscene to wear it without an additional layer.

An "outer layer" will any jacket or sweater that is intended to be a second layer, over a top or a dress. If it can also be worn alone, that is fine.

A "bib" garment will considered a bottom, unless it can be worn alone without a top under or over it.

Two garments may be previously sewn, one may be purchased, and because I'm late with the rules, two may be sewn up before the official sewing start date of Dec 26, 2015. Muslins, pattern fitting, cutting, interfacing, and other preparatory work may begin right away. All garments must be finished by April 30, 2016.

A final note: I've read the comments about the photographs and voting, and I'll try to find a more workable solution for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SWAP 2023?

 Rules for SWAP 2023 are not yet decided, but there is a possibility that we might be able to have something at The Sewing Place. Come and c...